Friday, March 14, 2008

Melbourne: some pictures

Vegemite is a very Australian condiment. In the US we call it vegetable broth concentrate [not really]. It's widely recognized as the 2nd saltiest substance after pure sodium chloride.




It looks like melted chocolate and has the consistency of cream cheese.



I was in my hotel, doing some experiments when suddenly I needed 400cc of sulfuric acid and a couple of beakers. So where do you go in that situation?




This is what we call a drug store in the US. Although the chemist carries only medical and related things. No singing big mouth bass fish, no cleaning supplies, etc.

After completing the experiment, I decided to go out for a hamburger and onion rings, but I noticed the hotel vending machine already had this covered...




If you ever wanted to know what Australian license plates look like, here's a sample...




Here's the cat that narrowly escaped getting a "cat" scan (see earlier posts).




Here an Australian electrical outlet. I'm constantly forgetting to flip the switch after plugging something in and wondering why it's not working.




Here's a rotary sign. Notice that the traffic goes the opposite way. People drive on the left and the steering wheel is on the right side. This is dangerous for US pedestrians who look the wrong way before crossing. This is especially bad when you have crosswalks across complicated roads.




The crosswalks make clicking sounds when it's ok to cross (for deaf people). Where I live, the crosswalks make a chirping noise. Presumably malicious birds don't attempt to fool deaf people.




Here's what the hotel charges to do laundry:
one shirt: $10.00
one t-shirt: $5.85
one pair of socks: $4.10
etc.

For a cheap Wal*Mart shirt, it's almost cheaper to throw the shirt away and buy a new one.

So I decided to do my own laundry. The laundry detergent packaging was a bit retro.



You're supposed to rip open the bag and then dump half of it into the washer. This requires a lot of skill in being able to correctly measure half.



I'll have more pictures later. Today (Saturday) K and I are hitting the town. On Sunday, I'm headed to the zoo and a winery with R and family.

No comments: