Saturday, March 15, 2008

Melbourne: P91

K showed me all around Melbourne today and I must say that I am very impressed with the city. Lots of really great areas. It's very impressive. I'll post pictures soon. However, at one point, we crossed over the major river that separates the city, parked the car, and walked up to the edge of the river to see the view of the Melbourne skyline.

K was very puzzled when I stopped and pointed out that there was a black swan in front of us. He grew up in Melbourne and said they're very common. It was very funny that standing there with the impressive skyline of Melbourne, with sailboats going by, with all the scenery, that I would be taking pictures of what I'd have to admit is a fairly ugly bird. Even the author of The Black Swan said it's an ugly bird. This one was tagged for some reason or another, which simply adds to the humor of it. P91.

While I would have been happy if I had intentionally sought out and found a black swan here, just stumbling into one unexpectedly, without warning, in the middle of day trip in Melbourne was perfect.



I can't believe that I forgot that black swans are in Australia. When I read the book, I recall thinking that I'd never see one myself because they're all the way on the other side of the world.

No comments: