Saturday, July 24, 2010

Hit the deck

I had a deck built and I used pressure treated lumber for the railings (I should've stuck with all Pro Cell) and now I've got to make sure the wood is sealed well.  After talking to lots of people, I decided to paint them: enamel primer, then waterborne exterior semi-gloss (Benjamin Moore stuff is designed for this combo).  Primer is done.  Started with the final coat.  The color was "Tuscany" but it looks a lot like pink to me.  So I had to buy another color: "Acorn".  Rain, humidity, dirt+rain, and peeling blue tape are making this take forever.  I started painting about 3 weeks ago.

I'm planning to leave the deck frame with just Thompson's water seal, but if it looks bad against the painted railings and risers, then I'll have to do something else with it.

Time to continue painting.


UPDATE: I was only able to paint around most of the masking taped areas, and even then, it's going to need another coat.  It's been at least 14 days of having the blue tape and the plastic tarp on the deck and the rain, dirt, and time are destroying it, so I had to remove it today.

The next step should require a lot less masking along with some careful brush touch-up in some places.

It looks like the plastic tarp did something to discolor the Pro Cell decking in one area.  It think it was the water under the tarp.  Soap and water didn't work, alcohol didn't work, mineral spirits didn't work.  The decking is guaranteed and the guy who built the deck will replace anything that's permanently discolored.

2 comments:

Wuppett said...

Your deck looks good from the photos, we are bricking an area on the ground for the gazebo and furniture, with a large fountian. It is alot more work than I planned with all the activities I volunteer for, hopefully by fall, we will be done

Bruce said...

Yeah, these things are always more complicated than they seem at first.

I hope it turns out well.